Thursday 28 February 2013

CS7 ? No thanks! I prefer quiet back roads!

My post a few months ago was about a new route I found to get from South West London into central London.

This route is far quieter, less noisy, less congested, and enjoyable.

Why is it so quiet? Well, the local councils have made the area difficult to drive around in - one way streets,  streets blocked for cars, cycle paths, etc. It's a great example of good urban planning. In some streets on the route I even have to convince myself that I'm still in London.

I even look forward to cycling home on it. Yes, you read me correctly, I look forward to cycling in London!
OK - it's a bit longer than CS7. But when you've done this route once, you will see that it is worth it!

Now, I'm not dissing CS7. It was a good initiative by TfL. It was the first super highway they built. And to be fair to TfL, they only control the major streets in London (Transport for London Road Network (TLRN)) - so they couldn't have built CS7 any where else.  But I can't help but wonder if the cycle superhighway wouldn't have been a lot better had it been located on these quiet back streets.

One thing's for sure - I will never go back to cycling on CS7.

Go on, give this alternative route a try, you won't regret it.

Note: there is a very short section (75m) on this route where you have to, technically speaking, walk.
Also, note that the route goes round Vauxhall giratory This is achieved on a cycle way separated from the traffic.





Double Click on images to enlarge them. All images courtesy of Google.






No comments:

Post a Comment