Monday 17 December 2012

'New' Types of Bikes

New types of bikes

 

I've always been keen on bikes ever since my Dad got me my first racer from Halfords many years ago.
I've owned a BMX, several mountain bikes, and a tourers throughout my years.

It struck me the other day, that there are 2 marvellous kinds of bikes that I've negelected until now.

Cargo bikes


The first is the cargo or freight bike. They are becoming increasingly popular in continental Europe and in the US for both delivery firms and individuals and families. They are really useful, easy to park and can carry loads of up to several hundred kg for some models. Some are in the form of trikes, some are elongated bikes with a large cargo bay. You can carry all kinds of stuff, even your kids in the 3 wheelers! 

It struck me that these bikes are really cool, and as soon as we are able to finance it, and have enough space to keep it, we will definitely look into buying one.

Cargo Bike is an English firm which makes some real crackers -  visit www.cargobike.co.uk

Below is their Lugger model.



Electric bikes

If there's one invention that's bound to get people on their bikes, it's got to be the electrically assisted bike/ These bikes have a large rechargeable battery, e.g. under the rear luggage rack. They make starting at lights or going up a hill a breeze. No need to get to work sweaty any more.

Quiet, clean, easy to park, no licence to use. Great!



1 comment:

  1. Where can I buy one? Do you think they are safe? I think the roads in London might be a bit too narrow for these bikes?

    ReplyDelete